Skip to main content

Simple Tips to Go to Japan

It's been a while since my last log in, LOL. Hello everyone! I wanna tell you about my last trip to Japan in 2018 and 2019. I would like to give some tips for you if someday you plan to go to Japan without using tour guide. Yeah, I went to Japan without using tour guide because Japan is sooooooo much detailed and the Japanese people are so kind and helpful. They will really help you a LOT, even show you the way and accompany you to your destination. Okay shall I start? Thank you. I went to Japan for the first time in 2018 and for the second time in 2019. But, firstly, I wanna share my first time when in Japan. In 2018, I planned randomly that I wanted to go to Japan. It was all after my office mate went there ALONE (my office mate is a girl and I was so sure that Japan is that safe). So, I told my parents that I wanna go there alone without using tour. At first thought, I decided to go to Tokyo only. But, my dad insisted that I had to go with my Mom. So, I went with my mom and added Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka as the other destinations. I started with: 1. Find return tickets! I started my researches as my comparison. I decided to go not with LCC flight, because I went with my mom. I bought my and my mom return tickets (with my dad’s money ofkorz, lol). I compared between Japan Airlines (JAL) and All Nippon Airways (ANA). Finally, I picked Japan Airlines as my choice. I searched for the reviews that compared both airways. Ftw, for some reasons, JAL stole my decision. You can click to find the reviews, hope it will help. I bought return tickets with route: Jakarta (Soekarno-Hatta) to Tokyo (Narita), Tokyo (Haneda) to Osaka (Kansai) and Tokyo (Narita) to Jakarta (Soekarno-Hatta). I would explain “some” circumstances, later. I bought the ticket from Panen Tour, because my aunt works there.
2. Find where will I stay! I used Agoda to find where I would stay while in Japan. Fyi, I would go to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, and Tokyo. For my hotel, I bought at Agoda. It was way cheaper than I thought. For the tips: Do not only find the cheapest price, but look at the reviews too. But after all, ALMOST all the reviews of Japanese hotels/hostels/homestays are very nice. 3. Find what will you do while in Japan! (Calculate well how much you will spend on everything) In Kyoto: I decided to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine (the cost is free) and Kiyomizudera Temple (the cost is free). In Nara: I decided to go sightseeing in Nara because of its good atmosphere (relaxing and calming). You can feed deers (with crackers that you can buy at stalls spreaded over Nara). The specialty of Nara is every roads and parks there are deers. I planned to go to Todaiji Temple (if there would be some time left) In Osaka: I decided to go to one amusement park and it went out I would pick Universal Studios Japan over Disneyland/Disneysea. Because, in Universal Studios Japan, there is Harry Potter’s theme. I bought the tickets at Klook. In Tokyo: I decided to go to Mount Fuji (you are not in Japan if you don’t go there). I bought 1 day tour at Klook, it was kind of package so the local tour guide would take you to some places including Mount Fuji. Then, I planned to go to Meiji Shrine (the cost is free), Sensoji Temple (the cost is free), and Tokyo tower (I bought extra ticket for about 2,500 yen because I wanted to go to the top deck of Tokyo tower. The cost was an extra spending because it was excluded from my itinerary, but IT WAS WORTH IT)
4. Find out how will I commute from town to others! This was the hardest part for me than spending money (for the first time I thought, but at the second time I went there, it was way really fun tho). I had to learn EVERY SINGLE train which they are not likely the same. There are types of train in Japan; Shinkansens, rapid trains (fast trains like airport trains), and local trains. Oh yeah and also subways. If I am not mistaken, the operators are quite different. For example, there are Japan Railways (JR), Kintetsu, Keihan, Nankai, Tokyo Metro, etc. You have to learn the routes of the trains when you have decided where will you go while you are in Japan. Because it was quite complicated (for me) and some stations of trains from each operators are different. But, if you go from central station like Kyoto Station, Osaka Station, Shinjuku Station or Tokyo Station the trains from each operators are in the same station. However, they are not in the same platforms, so I emphasize that you have to totally learn about your destination and HOW you will go there. Taking bus is an another option, even though I would suggest you to take trains. I most likely took trains when I was in Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, and Tokyo. Notes: *You can buy trains ticket separately or 2-3 days usage (in case you don’t want to buy JR Pass). You want to take JR trains and others? You have to spend extra cost. The costs are variative, they are depending on which route you take. *What is JR Pass? You can find out here. But let me suggest you, if you plan not to go to Sapporo and you won’t stay in Japan for at least 7 days, I suggest you do not buy JR Pass. Why? Because JR Pass is quite pricey and not buying it will save you some money to spend on another thing.
But still, you can reconsider or not. It’s up to you :)
*At Kyoto-Nara-Osaka, I used 2 days pass of Kintetsu Pass. You can use KINTETSU trains and buses anytime you want in 2 days length.
*At Tokyo, I used 72 hours or Tokyo Metro pass. You can use TOKYO METRO trains anytime you want for 72 hours.
*I bought Shinkansen’s ticket from Nagoya to Kyoto. But... wait. At the first time I mentioned, I didn’t say that I went to Nagoya? That was the thing I referred to “some” circumstances that I would explain later.
*I bought Keisei ticket bus as my airport shuttle because it was was cheaper than using airport train. *The overnight bus might be another option if you want to save some money rather than]spending a night at a hotel. I bought tickets of overnight bus with route: Osaka to Tokyo. The journey took take about 8-9 hours.
SUMMARY for this explanation: LEARN well where will you go while you are in Japan! Learn the routes by using Google Map to know where you will go. It is important because you have to make sure that your destination can be reached whether using trains/buses/even shinkansens. As much as you know the route, it will cost you fewer money because you won’t spend any money on the transportation expenses that you actually don’t need.
5. Find out if I need wifi or buy local simcard! In my trip, I clearly didn’t need wifi because I only went with my mom (my mom said she would depend on me and trust me that I would lead the way, lol). So, I bought local simcard which I bought before I went to Japan. I bought at Tokopedia and the cost is variative. You can choose cheaper ones or depend on what you need.
I didn’t need wifi because I had to charge it both with my phone and I felt it could bother me a lot, lol.
6. Find out what kind of the weather when deciding to go! Japan has 4 seasons like winter, spring, summer and autumn. When I went to Japan the weather was like the transition from summer to autumn. So, it was often rainy everyday. The weather was most likely gloomy but not that cold. So, I and my mom packed for regular clothes and some sweaters.
Don’t forget, Japanese people loveeeeeee to WALK. You will need shoes. Comfy shoes. You don’t want to have your feet swollen because you wear uncomfy shoes, do you? ;)
Note that: Benches are rare in Japan. So, if you are tired, please don’t hope that much. It’s better to rest for few minutes and lean your body near to the vending machines (another reason I love Japan is its vending MACHINES). 7. Reprepared! Don’t forget to check that all your belongings you need are properly packed. Do not forget your passport and visa! *I got my waiver visa (it lasts for 3 years). You can get you waiver visa by register to Japanese embassy in your hometown (I got it from Jakarta). The cost is free! 8. Have fun! While you are travelling, you will do a lot of walking. Walking is your essentials in Japan. Don’t forget to always take a rest if you are tired, so you can enjoy your trip.
Don't be shy to ask the locals if you think that you're lost. They will definitely help you. I just only got only one rejection and it was because he was in rush to go to the office.
I hope my writings could help 😁

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kueh Bulan

Hi. Been so weird for naming the title. Hahaha. But it's okay. Hi. I wanna share something that maybe useless for you who will read this, but for me, its more than that. Been knowing this one for almost 4 years. Started with being friends and "temen cerita", "temen nonton", "temen ngata2in ***n" HAHAHA. I didn't know until one day. HMMM lemme start this one by this. Do you remember when you DECIDED not to talk to me, bcs of someone else said that i was a jerk who made his hi school life ended up not liked by everyone ? HAHAH. Until i sent you bbm chat like wtf why you kept silence between us. Seriously, that time i was so confused why you didn't talk to me anymore for past few days.... And then you sent me bbm that whether i could pass the middle test or nah. And the next few day you admitted that YOU DIDNT TALK TO ME bcs of your bffHAHAHsoLOL. L-O-L. I'm writting this with laugh on my face. I never knew until this... or this? And th...

A piece.

Perhaps, you haven't found out someone you want. You like. You love. But, what's worth having won't (always) come easy. Make sure that you worth the pain.  You haven't met the guy, like you meet in the afternoon at the coffee shop, meet accidentally. Someday, you'll meet the one. Your only one, who will never make you disappointed or sad. Someone who will fight for you, no matter how hard the situation is. And someone who will wipe out your tears through your fake-lashes. Perhaps, you have passed the ewness of life, when it gave you bitter, but look at you, there you are standing with self confidence that every little parts of your body is looking for a hope. A new chance to spend every minute with someone new. You may dream about your love-life will be as sweet enough like in a single-happy novel which ended with finding out their prince charming. You may have spent your days covered with greys and bad days. You may have been colorblind, without knowing when will t...